Friendship Baptist Church was organized on August 11, 1880 in the home of Mr. Blake Weaver (grandfather of Pearl Weaver Burkett), located near Ashe Central High School. The first meetings were held in the old Friendship School Building until a new building was erected near the school in 1909.
The first pastor to serve the church was Rev. Thomas Duncan. The first member received by baptism was G.W. Burkett (grandfather of G.C. & Brantly Burkett). Mr. Burkett also sold the church one acre of land where the first church was built, less than 50 feet west of the present facility. Riley Shatley was the first deacon to be ordained. In 1950, the original portion of our current facility was built. Rev. J.T. Cockerham preached the last sermon in the old building.
Rev. M.D. Hart preached the first sermon in the new facility. In later years, land was purchased as well as donated by Mr. & Mrs. Clifford Marsh and Rev. & Mrs. G.C. Burkett. Several additions were added to the church from 1972 through 1979, including the west wing of the sanctuary, two additions to the educational department, a fellowship hall and a picnic shelter. In 1997 the east wing of the sanctuary was added as well as the remodeling of the existing sanctuary.
In the fall of 2012, under the direction of Pastor Russell Hart, the ground breaking ceremony was held for the new 6,970 sq. ft. Family Life Center. An additional tract of land was purchased including 1 ½ acres and the old Friendship School house. The new facility was completed in January, 2015 and the Dedication Service was held on March 8, 2015.
Praise God for His goodness and blessings on Friendship Baptist Church. May we continue to be a lighthouse in our community for the glory of God!